Friday, October 15, 2010

Apples, Apples, Apples

There are so many things I love about fall and apples are definately one of them. We did not make it to pick them this year( maybe we can sneak it in this weekend if there are any left). Luckily though, we have a great orchard near us which sells them already picked. These are utility apples so they are not the most beautiful, but since I was making apple sauce they are perfect.

I always have great ambitions to can or preserve many items for the winter and spring but I usually run short on time. This year I have managed to make blueberry and strawberry jam, pickles(really yummy ones that I am rationing to last the winter), cranberry sauce, salsa and now apple sauce. Bigguy loves homemade apple sauce, especially when it has that beautiful pink hue when you use Mcintosh apples.

I know we will really enjoy each jar of applesauce and it makes me feel good to have my family eat food that I make and that we know where it comes from and the people who grow it.

No comments: